gta-worldmods.de/forum (http://www.gta-worldmods.de/forum/index.php)
- Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas (http://www.gta-worldmods.de/forum/board.php?boardid=3)
--- Modding Showrooms & Editing Fragen (http://www.gta-worldmods.de/forum/board.php?boardid=7)
---- Showroom für Cars, Bikes und sonstige Fahrzeuge (http://www.gta-worldmods.de/forum/board.php?boardid=30)
----- [SA l WIP] Volvo V70 and V70 XC (http://www.gta-worldmods.de/forum/thread.php?threadid=11600)

Geschrieben von Elvis am 12.07.2010 um 17:24:

[SA l WIP] Volvo V70 and V70 XC

Right, new project!

When I saw the mesh pop up in matesmc's thread, I couldn't wait starting this one. If there's one car I'd have to drive everyday for the rest of my life, it'd be a V70. In my opinion it's the best looking car ever made.

Therefore I'm making a V70, and a V70 XC afterwards. I'm planning releasing these two at the same time. I've also got some snappy ideas for extras, but I not going to reveal those quite yet. Since they'll be done after the basic model is done, I've got plenty of time to ponder over them.

Right, the model:
The basic model was supplied by matesmc (thanks!). It came with seats and rims, which both were thrown out of the window, since they were too high-poly, and in case of the seats, inaccurate. Same goes for the windows, they will be replaced too.
What I am left with is the basic body shell. Everything else will be scratch-made.

Beneath are pictures of what I'm going to replicate: A 2002 Volvo V70 2.4T AWD (US version). Bear in mind that these will not be the rims I will be making, It'll be rockin 16" Metis' instead of the 17" Amaltheas on the first two images. The rims on the third picture are the ones I'll be making.

First update:
I've spent like an entire day on making the 3D panel lines. Loads of work! I also scaled the car, and threw it into GTA for a quick glance of the normals. They're glorious, I'm very pleased.

Screenshots:

I've got a couple of questions:

-Is there any way I can get by the edit thread limit timer? I would like to keep a checklist in the first post to keep everybody informed of the progress. (This question is directed at piohh especially).

-A GTA related question: How do I assign the fourth car color slot to a material in zmodeler? First one is prim, second is sec, third is 3rd, but 4th doesn't work for me. Any clues?

Geschrieben von Raptor am 12.07.2010 um 18:21:

Wow, a very nice model you've got there! The mesh looks just perfect.

About the fourth color: unfortunately we can't use it. I wish we could, maybe somebody is going to write a hack or something, but now it's not possible.

Geschrieben von schaefft am 12.07.2010 um 18:56:

Wow, Im really looking forward to this one, but watch out for Nik, he might wanna hump you for this Zunge raus

Great looking mesh, its looking smooth just like it should be. Good luck, cant wait to see more!

Geschrieben von Foxboro am 12.07.2010 um 19:34:

A Volvo estate ! What a great idea !
The XC ix the 4wd version (Or cross over), right ?

Geschrieben von ikey07 am 12.07.2010 um 19:59:

Hmm.. looks pretty smooth and good, I would like to cruising with this car around SA.

Good start victory

Geschrieben von Elvis am 12.07.2010 um 20:57:

Thanks guys smile

@Foxboro: Indeed, it's the crossover version with the plastic bumpers:

As to keep this thread as updated as I possibly can: The gas cap:

Screenshot made me spot some scruffy normals as well at the very edge of the rear bumper. I'll get that fixed

Geschrieben von Foxboro am 12.07.2010 um 21:03:

The normals aren't the best on the rear bumper, the part under the taillights.

Strange way to progress on the car, you prefer see your car in game after a small update more than making a full 3d model then converting ?

Geschrieben von VladyF am 12.07.2010 um 21:18:

Well it isn't the most beautiful car in the world but you can't say you don't like it großes Lachen Waiting the XC one, always this type of crossovers

Model looks great victory

Geschrieben von Elvis am 12.07.2010 um 21:19:

Yup that's the spot I meant too. The normals are fixed now.

The way you describe the way I progress is spot on. My experience is that when things look good in Zmodeler, they don't always look that great ingame. This why the first thing I do when starting on a car is getting it ingame so I can actually have a look at how it looks.
Every single thing I make after the initial conversion gets tested ingame first before I move on to another thing, since I find it easier to edit stuff along the way than having to fix all the errors afterwards.

May seem a bit weird, but it works for me. smile

Geschrieben von Foxboro am 12.07.2010 um 21:31:

Not weird if it works.

Personnaly, I lost interest into a car when get ingame, so I prefer make the most things as possible before. Most of the time, what looks good into ZMod is ok ingame, so...

Geschrieben von fordfocus33 am 13.07.2010 um 02:02:

Great choice of car. smile I'm looking forward to the V70 XC. We need more estates for SA. lachen

And don't forget the orange sidemarkers in the headlights when you add SA-Lights. lachen

Geschrieben von Elvis am 14.07.2010 um 19:31:

Step 1's done: get her rolling again. In other words, I finished the wheels. smile

Screenshots:

Geschrieben von Gladiator am 14.07.2010 um 19:33:

Looks nice. Good work yet.

Finally, a Volvo Station Wagon fits good into GTA SA because many families in the United States drive one.

As a Cam Hack user, I hope that its interior will be as good as the exterior.

Geschrieben von Foxboro am 14.07.2010 um 19:41:

Good job !

Geschrieben von Elvis am 19.07.2010 um 00:18:

Right, time for an update. Modelling on the front is pretty much complete. I've done the headlights, foglights and some touches to the grille. For the heck of it I slapped on a plate for the finishing touch. Enjoy:

PS: Does somebody know how I get rid of this blur effect in GTA during the day? It must be intended as warm air, but it just looks stupid to me.

Geschrieben von Sean(Taiwan) am 19.07.2010 um 14:56:

I only know that if you use Camhack
you can remove the blur effect of highspeed driving.
But the blur of hot weather...sorry mate, I don't know. wut1
BTW, it is kind of you to make a Volvo lachen ...since Volvo was very few. wut1
Nice Volvo for sure!!! This one looks very reliable and perfect for commuting!
I'll but both of this! How much are they, Elvis? lachen
How about a C63 AMG for one V70 and one XC70? aamegaLoL aamegaLoL aamegaLoL

Geschrieben von fordfocus33 am 19.07.2010 um 19:51:

Very very nice. victory The lights and the grille looks very good. lachen

Geschrieben von Foxboro am 19.07.2010 um 20:06:

Perfect as always until now. Love the render of the headlights, very realistic.

Geschrieben von Elvis am 19.07.2010 um 21:45:

Thanks for the comments guys smile Much appreciated.
Another small update: I did the rear lights and the badges on the trunk. Next up: The windows.

Geschrieben von fordfocus33 am 19.07.2010 um 21:49:

OMG these lights looks AWESOME. erstaunt It looks so real. lachen

Geschrieben von Foxboro am 19.07.2010 um 21:50:

You don't use a texture with 3d reflector behind ? Here I just can see SA light.

Geschrieben von Elvis am 19.07.2010 um 21:53:

The rear lights are 3D as well. smile It's just that the inner layer is close to the 'glass'. This makes the lights look 2d while they're not. Maybe I've not chosen the best of angles for the shots.

Geschrieben von Foxboro am 19.07.2010 um 22:01:

Maybe, anyway, it still a wip.

Geschrieben von Elvis am 20.07.2010 um 17:07:

More stuff's done!
I decided I wasn't entirely satisfied with the rear lights, so I remade a large part of them. I also made the windows and the third brake light.

Forensoftware: Burning Board, entwickelt von WoltLab GmbH